Tuesday, January 19, 2010

F Litter Update: Flute's Life as a Guide Dog

Black Lab guide Flute
Hello to all my mates of the F litter! My life these past three months has been very full of adventure!

In November, I graduated with my person, Nyla, and moved to a small town in northern Arizona. It sounds really hot, but since we are in the mountains, we actually got snow this morning!! The week after we graduated, we went to a wedding in Phoenix, and Nyla depended on me to help her around through the crowd. It was hard to find room for both of us, but it felt good to be doing what I have been trained to do. Nyla appreciated the help, and since it was her grandson that got married, we even wound up in a couple of the pictures. We also visited the "Pro Bass" shop, but it was kind of scarry, with all the big stuffed animals around. I don't care if it's stuffed or not, Nyla does NOT need to be in the same room as a bear, and neither do I! Then, Nyla's son had kidney surgery, and we got to visit Phoenix again. The hospital staff were very friendly, and found comfortable places for us to hang out during the procedure. We are all grateful that it seems to be working out for him!

In the meantime, I have been guiding Nyla regularly the three miles to her physical therapist, and the mile to the grocery store. I also help her around the Walmart and other stores in the "big city" an hour away. It is fun to be out doing my job.

I have a playmate, Milly, who is a chocolate lab, and lives with Nyla's grandkids. She's only a year old, and when we get together, we can both pretend to be puppies again, even though I am a WORKING dog. She only WISHES she were so important!

Nyla really appreciates all the wonderful people who helped us to get together, and so do I!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! WE LOVE YOU!!

Flute

No comments:

Post a Comment