Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We've Got Mail: 2-week Class is a Hit!

Here's a letter we received from one of our students, Sylvia Munoz, sharing her enthusiasm for our new 2-week class training program.

Good Morning,

What an incredible two weeks it has been! So different from when I last was here. I do like the new training schedule and the new training techniques - the food rewards and the clicker training.

Sylvia Munoz and her new Guide Dog, Nina
I want you to know that the team of three instructors that we worked with were and are incredible. They definitely know their job and the camaraderie that they shared amongst themselves was great. As you know, being away from home and sharing anytime with people you do not know can be stressful. Pat, Vanessa, and Melissa made it a positive and less stressful experience. I did not experience this last time I was here nine years ago.

I mostly worked with Pat Kelly and think he is a fabulous instructor. He is patient, easy-going, humorous, but yet gives great input and suggestions. He matched me with a great dog. I had requested a male yellow lab because that is what I had twice before and that is what had worked for me. When Pat and Vanessa called me a week-and-a-half before training and asked whether I would consider a female or another color of lab, I told them that I really had three requirements and beyond that, I would leave it in their hands. I needed a short-haired dog, a fast walker--my last dog was a cruiser--and I needed a smaller dog because I do a lot of traveling. And, with that, I got Nina. She is the first guide I have worked that I feel like we have worked together for months already.

Please keep up the high standards for trainers. I look forward to returning to Guide Dogs in ten years.

Sincerely,

Sylvia Munoz

No comments:

Post a Comment