Tuesday, December 1, 2009

We've Got Mail: A Mother's Gratitude

We love getting your cards, letters and emails. This is an email we received recently from Renee Bevan, the mother of a young GDB graduate. Her words eloquently describe the difference a Guide Dog has made in her son's life, and we thought it was worth passing along. In her words:

John and Houston
Hi there,

My son was in one of your summer classes - he graduated the end of July. He was paired with the most amazing dog - Houston. John started college in the fall and Houston lives in the dorm with John. Houston is the most popular student on campus. John is in the orchestra and when they have concerts, Houston is right up there on the stage with him. The entire campus has embraced having John and Houston on campus (Lynchburg College) and they respect the rules and requirements of a guide dog.

I have had and trained a lot of dogs in my life and I have never seen or met a dog nearly as clever as Houston. He transitions well from our home to college, he gets along with our pet dogs, but most importantly he takes great care of John. John is *very* regimented and consistent with Houston with respect to feeding, relieving, training... and Houston clearly is thriving with their routine. I don't know how your selection process works with respect to the matching of the dog with the person but this pair was a perfect match. Having Houston has given John more confidence to travel to new places and he travels much faster and more efficiently with Houston.

I am attaching a picture of John and Houston that I snapped when John was on his way to his first college concert. It speaks volumes about the confidence, independence and pride that both of them have. They were walking so fast we couldn't keep up! I hope you enjoy it and I just wanted to thank you for this most amazing gift to my son.

Sincerely,

Renee Bevan

No comments:

Post a Comment