Monday, June 18, 2012

Will Guide Dog Pasta Win the Hero Dog Awards?

black Lab in harness on stairs
Ever since receiving Pasta from Guide Dogs for the Blind, my life has changed. When I used my cane, I felt insecure. I hated traveling at night; I avoided going out in the rain when possible because the noise made listening to my surroundings challenging and I never just went for pleasure walks.

With Pasta, I take pleasure walks, travel at night, ride the bus, go to stores and restaurants, and even go out in the rain! I don’t have to worry about running into something, misreading traffic or tripping. Pasta guides me around obstacles, stops for changes in elevation and refuses to go if it is unsafe.

Pasta makes me feel a level of confidence that I have never known before. One day, a passerby said, “When I see you walking, I don’t think of you as disabled.” And, with Pasta, I don’t feel that way.

Pasta gives me the freedom to do anything. If I get lost, as I did mere months after receiving Pasta, all I have to do is say “Let’s go home,” and she’ll take me there, as she did that very first time four years ago. If we are crossing a street and a car turns in front of us without looking, she’ll stop and push me out of the way, as she has on several occasions.

But Pasta is more than my Guide Dog; she is my friend, cuddle-bug and so much more that words cannot describe. I love her with all my heart. -- Megan Miller of Long Beach, California

Will Guide Dog Pasta win the Hero Dog Awards? Only if you vote! Vote every day and be sure to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment