Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Colusa: A Guide Dog That Gets Around!

Submitted by Evelyn Burris

Colusa is Evelyn Burris's Guide Dog, and the two of them are quite the world travelers! Whether it's cruising to Alaska or Hawaii, or road-tripping through California, the duo find adventures at every turn. The following is an excerpt from a recap of one such recent adventure, as "written" by Colusa.

Evelyn and Colusa
I have so much to tell! Evelyn and I went to Ft. Lauderdale; our adventure was a trip through the Panama Canal terminating in San Francisco. Now I understand better how big a canal can be! I also learned about continents. I already knew about North America, but when we arrived in Colombia I was on a second continent, South America. And since I have "seen" Russian (a la Sarah Palin) from Alaska, I now only have three more continents to go until I have seen them all!

When we were checking in at Ft. Lauderdale, a man named Greg came up to Evelyn and said he had trained two Guide Dog puppies and asked if he could take me for a walk on the ship. Thank goodness Evelyn said yes because that was the most fun I had on the entire trip. He made me follow Guide Dog behavior, but he made sure I had a good time, too. He lives near San Rafael and I hope we get to see him and his wife sometime soon.

The morning we were docked in Costa Rica, we ordered bananas with breakfast. Imagine how surprised we were to learn they were out of bananas - in one of the banana republics!

While on board, Evelyn and I attempted to attend a writing class. Unfortunately, it was held in a smoke-filled bar so we didn't stay. I was hoping to learn some new techniques!

The last day of the trip was not much fun. We hit very high winds and the ship rocked and creaked. Some big plate glass windows blew out and the noise scared me. I barked at both doors, but no one made it stop, so I hopped up on the bed with Evelyn.

I was glad to sail in under the Golden Gate because it is beautiful and I knew we were almost home.

No comments:

Post a Comment