Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We've Got Mail: Puppy Raising Love

Dear Guide Dogs -

I received this very nice letter about my Cosgrove. Tom and Cosgrove graduated on October 4, 2008. The Cos is the 8th puppy I have raised for GDB. Cosgrove was my favorite boy to raise and so this letter makes me very proud of what I do.

Brenda Rae

From Tom Heinl, Cosgrove's handler:
My present Guide named Cosgrove is probably one of the top 2 of the 6 guides I have used. I think I can count on one hand the number of times he has missed a curb. He learns new routes very quickly and seems to remember everything. I firmly believe that his puppy raiser, Brenda Rae, has done a masterful job of his upbringing to allow him to be a exceptional guide. He displays good manors at home and in public. He has demonstrated by his actions that he can handle difficult environments both when working and when not. I really think that Guide Dog training begins at the home of the puppy raiser and continues forward through formal training and partnering with a blind person. I would like to thank all puppy raisers and especially Brenda for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment